Friday, June 5, 2009

Luau 2009

Continuing our annual tradition, we invited our families to a luau this spring. We always have kalua pork and rice, and then our guests bring tropical side dishes. This year I also made Haupia, which is like stiff coconut pudding. The recipe I tried had a bottom crust, and turned out really yummy.
My favorite new invention of the year was this strand of "lei lights". The idea just sorta formed in my head and it turned out to be really easy and cute. All I did was take apart a couple of cheap fabric leis from the dollar store, and poke a Christmas light bulb through each flower.
Another highlight was my grandpa showing up in an aloha shirt, a big departure from his signature white dress shirt. It was awesome.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

What a fun idea! You're so creative :)

Trish said...

That sounds like a great tradition! What got you started on that? I love the lights too!