Friday, March 4, 2011

Great news!

This news has been out for a while, but not on our blog, so here it is: I'm pregnant! The baby is due August 16th (Or August 14th, according to my doctor, not that it matters!).

Elise is hoping for a boy. Lydia was originally hoping for a baby sister, until Elise converted her with this logic: If we have 2 little brothers, then we can play princesses and have a prince for each of us! Poor Tyler and his hypothetical brother! Except that I'm pretty sure Ty would LOVE to have a brother, and probably wouldn't mind the princely role either. I'm very wishy-washy about what I would prefer, and I haven't felt any intuition either way. Mike is sure this one's a girl. Want to know how I know? The other day he started a sentence like this: "When we find out what she is..."

I am feeling pretty good lately. For the first couple of months of the pregnancy I felt yucky - stomach churning pretty much all day. That has gone away, and now I am just extra tired. Sometimes I nap in the afternoon, but more often I sit and stare listlessly at blogs and Facebook in lieu of a nap. Stupid!

An awesome side effect of pregnancy: healthy things are SO appealing. Fruit, vegetables, water, regular Cheerios instead of sugar cereal! I eat fresh pineapple until my mouth hurts. Today I ate 3 bowls of pureed butternut squash soup*.

Even weirder: suddenly I have the ability to eat sweets in moderation. Where did that come from? Usually I can't help but eat all the candy and baked goods in sight, and you would think pregnancy would only make it worse, but get this: I had Valentine candy (chocolate!) still sitting on my counter when February ended. I don't think that has ever happened to me.

*How to make Butternut Squash Soup (Andrea, correct me if I'm making it wrong, and thanks for the idea)
Cube up a butternut squash**, and put it in a pot. Add enough chicken broth (or water/bouillon) to cover the squash. Boil until the squash is soft. Pour the contents of the pot into a blender, and puree. Return to the pot, add a little dash of cayenne, and maybe some black pepper. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired (I didn't have any and it was still so yummy).

**Out of curiosity I looked up the nutritional information for butternut squash. I found out that a cup of cubed butternut squash has 457% of the recommended daily value of Vitamin A. I probably ate 3x that. Then I found out that excessive Vitamin A causes birth defects. I freaked out. Then I found out that the "Vitamin A" in vegetables is actually beta carotene, which does NOT cause birth defects. I calmed down. The end.

3 comments:

Lisa Moore said...

Congratulations again. :) It's funny with the eating healthy thing. I was kinda the same way with my last pregnancy! I gained the least amount of weight with that one too which was awesome. It is a nice little side effect! I'll have to try making some of that soup too!

Nicole said...

Hi Shayla,

I am going to be posting the Ice Cream Scoop cookies recipe on my blog, but not until Monday or Tuesday. If you email me at info[AT]tradewindtiaras.com I'll let you in on the secret ahead of time, though!

Kayla Moncur said...

Haha your little side note at the bottom made me crack up. That was me during my pregnancies-always finding something to freak out about only to discover I was just being crazy.

And that's SO awesome that you're craving the good stuff. It makes such a difference!

Congrats on the baby!

Kayla
Freckles in April