Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Baby James is Here!

Our baby was (finally!) born on Friday August 19th, 5 days past his due date. We arrived at the hospital at about 1:30 a.m., and he was born at 4:35 a.m. I thought maybe I could tough it out and deliver without an epidural, but I realize now I should have practiced some relaxation techniques.

At 8 lbs. 2 oz., he was over a pound heavier than my next-largest baby (Tyler). It took a lot more pushing to get him out, compared to my other babies.  The doctor and nurses kept commenting that it was like delivering a first baby.  He measured 19 3/4 inches long.

We named him James Donald, after his grandfathers. When he is awake he is bright-eyed and alert. His hair is so cute, dark brown with 2 cowlicks right above his forehead (I can't wait to see how it combs!), and about twice as long in the back as it is on top - just like his Daddy's in high school! He also has a birthmark, something none of my other babies have had. You can see it in this picture:

He is eating and sleeping pretty well. He sleeps much better during the day than at night, but I'm sure that will work itself out soon enough. The last few days have been great because Mike has taken a few days off and I can take naps when I need to.





The whole family is in love with baby James. Elise, Lydia, and Tyler all love holding him and kissing his head, and are being very helpful with bringing things like burp cloths when I'm feeding him. They are fascinated by the umbilical cord stump, the poop, the breastfeeding, everything. I love listening to the high-pitched voices that just come naturally to them when they are talking to him.

Here are some cute pictures we took in the hospital. The hospital's newborn photographer was very good but very pricey. I had Mike go home and get a basket and a blanket so we could take our own. I am still learning how to use my fancy camera, but I think ours turned out nearly as cute, for free!






4 comments:

Christine Rowley said...

I love how your pictures turned out! Congrats on the new baby!

Meredith said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful family you have.

Andy and Kimi said...

He's so cute Shayla!! Can't wait to see him in person. That is a big baby for you- but I think big babies=happy babies, you'll have to let me know what you think!

Nikki said...

I love your DIY hospital photos. And I love even more your cute chubby James! He is beautiful!