Friday, July 15, 2011

Happy Birthday Lydia - Wonderland Party

Lydia turned 5 this year! I can hardly believe it. And she will be in Kindergarten in the fall. Crazy!


For her birthday, Lydia got birthday clothes, an mp3 player, and some kid-friendly earphones. She is a music lover, and was so excited about having her very own music player.


Also, for about the last 6 months, she has been asking for gum for her birthday. Mike went to the store and picked out a variety of flavors he thought she would like. She was SO happy about having her very own gum!  It didn't last very many days, but for those few days, she was very generous about sharing it with her friends and Elise.

Lydia wanted to wear her Alice in Wonderland costume for her party, so we made the whole thing Wonderland themed. Her friends got to wear and take home simple white pinafores that I made.  Mike stayed up late with me the night before the party to hang up decorations like "This Way" "That Way" signs, and rosebushes with roses painted red. I originally made them for a Young Women activity last fall, but I was so glad I had saved them.

They played Mad, Mad, Hatter (Duck, Duck, Goose) with a funny felt hat I found at Target for $1.

And a game like a cake walk, using the numbers on a sidewalk-chalked pocketwatch. They won different colored "Alice" headbands.

Elise wore last year's Halloween costume and helped with this game, "Queen of Hearts Says" (like Simon Says).

We also did a relay race using flamingo mallets to hit a ball across the yard and back.


Lydia claims that she hates cake, but likes cupcakes. Funny girl! I topped the cupcakes with white buttercream roses, and tried to paint them red using Wilton Color Mist. It wasn't quite the dramatic red I was going for, but they were cute anyway.  The girls drank punch from real teacups, which they loved.  I also made little sugar cookies to send home that said Eat Me in royal icing, but I forgot to take pictures of them!

My mom knows me well enough to offer to come a little early and be an extra pair of hands.  I always seem to bite off more than I can chew and end up scrambling to finish and fit in everything that I planned.  Thanks Mom!

Mike's mom was also able to stop by and wish Lydia a happy birthday!

Lydia is like a ray of sunshine in our home. She has such a positive attitude about things, and shares her delight and amazement about things I would usually overlook. When we do simple activities like going to the playground or flying kites she declares, "This is my best day ever!" She is independent, and likes to do things herself, like make her own sandwiches and breakfasts. She also loves surprising people, and getting everyone laughing. Happy Birthday Lydia!

No comments: