Thursday, October 1, 2009

Finding the Humor

I went to a baby shower a couple of weeks ago for my cousin. As the mom-to-be opened gifts, the gift-givers shared advice about motherhood. Her aunt had some very sage advice: find the humor. If your kid gives herself a horrible haircut, take a picture so you can laugh later.

That advice came back to me this morning while I was tending my nieces. Savannah, who's 3, had been playing quietly in the corner. When I walked past, she jumped and started explaining herself cheerfully. She was "just giving this horse a haircut because its hair was too long." Scissors in hand, fur EVERYWHERE, half bald rocking horse (why couldn't it have been a cheap My Little Pony?). I flipped out, took the scissors away (where did she find them anyway?) and plopped her in time out, all the time yelling "Oh my GOSH! I am SO MAD! Why would you DO that!" (Sorry Cindy, I yelled at your daughter, but at least I didn't spank her!)

After I called Mike and calmed down, I decided to take a picture and find the humor. Remorseful little Savannah probably had no idea why I wanted her to go back in the corner with the horse and pose for this. Unfortunately the picture doesn't do justice to the horse's bad haircut.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Nice horsey haircut!
I had a moment like this this other day--but it had to do with nail polish. I took a pic after I got it half cleaned up.

Unknown said...

Oh no!! How frustrating and sad--Maybe I'm one of those glass half-empty people, but I would have had a hard time trying to find humor in that! I really like that advice though... you can't change what's just happened (however awful it may be...) be we can try to appreciate it for whatever it's worth so that we'll be able to look back and have some laughs at it in the future.