Friday, December 12, 2008

More about Tyler

Since Tyler was wearing a hat in all of the pictures from the last post, I'm posting some that show his hair. He's got a little, it's just lighter than the girls' hair was at birth.

This first picture is from the day we came home from the hospital. The cute outfit was chosen by Mike. It is a tradition I adopted from my mom, to have the dad choose the baby's coming-home outfit. It gives Mike something to do, to be involved and have a reason to escape the hospital for a little while. Didn't he do a good job?

This picture is from a few days ago, "Selection Sunday", when we found out which bowl the Utes are playing in. The onesie came from Mike's mom and stepdad, who are BYU fans, so it was really a sacrifice for them! They also gave Tyler and Mike each a football signed by quarterback Brian Johnson (whose girlfriend is their friend's daughter or something).

Tyler is a really content baby. I struggled with feeding Elise and Lydia when they were newborns, but Tyler has been a good nurser from the start. It makes a world of difference to not have that stress! I feel much more like myself, instead of over-emotional and weepy like I have been in the past. I didn't feel pressured by the hospital staff to pump breastmilk or to feed formula. In fact, one of the nurses, after asking about how often he was eating and how long, called us "perfect parents" (ha ha).

The first night home was hard, but it has gotten easier. He wakes about every 3 hours to be fed, but then he pretty much goes right back to sleep.

Having a boy has given me a few new things to learn! The first diaper I changed in the hospital, he sprayed all over (mostly on himself, poor guy). It was such a surprise, Mike and I couldn't help laughing. The number of these accidents has slowly decreased since I came up with a strategy. Every time I change a diaper, I take an extra wipe and set it aside to dry so I always have a dry wipe (disposable!) to block/absorb any sprinkling.

Elise and Lydia have been nothing but sweet to him. Elise loves to sit on the couch and hold him, talking in high-pitched "motherese" and trying to get him to make eye contact. Lydia is always the first to let me know he needs a diaper change (she must have a really sensitive nose). She is so curious about the feeding and diaper changes, and also likes to hold him, but only for a few seconds.

So far it has been a fairly easy transition, becoming a mother of 3. I don't know if it will continue to be easy, but I feel very blessed thus far.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

He is so cute Shayla! Here's a suggestion, although maybe you already do this. When you go to change his diaper, open up the clean diaper and put it under his bum before you even open the messy one. Then when he's been wiped up, you just pull the dirty one out and close him up!

Liz said...

What a cute boy and great mom! You've set the bar pretty high for the rest of us.

Kalley said...

Tyler is so precious. I'm Glad everything is going well. If you need to talk more about dealing with boys I would be glad to share some of my insights.